Thursday, March 8, 2012

Psalm 2

1 Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain? 2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against his Anointed, saying, 3 "Let us burst their bonds apart and cast away their cords from us."
4 He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision. 5 Then he will speak to them in his wrath, and terrify them in his fury, saying, 6 "As for me, I have set my King on Zion, my holy hill."
  7 I will tell of the decree: The Lord said to me " You are my Son; today I have begotten you. 8 Ask of me, and I will make the nations your heritage, and the ends of earth your possession. 9 You shall break them with a rod of iron and dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel."
10 Now therefore, O kings,  be wise; be warned, O rulers of the earth. 11Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling. 12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath quickly kindles. Blessed are all who take refuge in Him.

New testament passages that refer back to this Psalm include Romans 1:4, Acts 13:33, Hebrews 1:5, Hebrews 5:5.



    This Psalm gives me great comfort.  If we pay very close attention it would be easy to get caught up in fear and stress because of how the leaders and the governments in the world and the decisions they make.  They work against the Lord and those who love him.  They do not recognize God's word as a gift and seek to be free from what they consider to be a restrictive life.  But the wonderful thing for those who take refuge in the Lord is that we do not have to be afraid. We belong to God's kingdom and even at this point, He already has a plan to send his son Jesus.  He tells David "Ask of me and I will make the nations your heritage and the ends of earth your possession."  God's son, Jesus, who he has "set on Zion, my holy hill"  a descendent of David, is sent so that everyone (all nations),  has a chance at salvation.  The Lord doesn't send Jesus only to be the King over the Jews, but over everyone.  Even back and before, God loved us so much that he was planning to send his Son, so that we could be a part of His kingdom and be under His protection.  David is warning the rulers of the earth that the real ruler of all time is coming, and they must be wise and "Kiss the Son", cherish Him, love Him.  It is only Christ's sacrifice, and His role as our mediator and king, that allows us to have grace from the just, right, and supremely fair judgment of God.  Without Jesus, we can only be found guilty, because we are guilty, and God is fair and just. Like any good judge, he cannot ignore the evidence of our guilt.  But he gave us tho opportunity to be seen and clean and blameless by sending Jesus to take the blame for us.  We are blessed by taking refuge in Jesus love which allows God's grace to be extended to us.  So, as long as we are taking refuge in Jesus,  we do not have to worry about what the governments of the world are doing, or even the corruption and persecution that we will at some time or another have to endure, as long as we belong to the only kingdom that lasts.


Lord,
  Please help me to trust in you and take refuge in your protection. Help me not worry about the corruption of the governments in the world. Please help me to spend my time working to help further your kingdom, the only one that lasts.  Please help me to remember when I feel down, lonely, or persecuted, that this world is not my home and i do not belong to the governments in it.  Forgive me when I forget this. Thank you for your for your insight and wisdom in sending your Son so that I can have a home with you someday. In His name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment