Saturday, March 10, 2012


Psalm 3

1 O Lord, how many are my foes! Many are rising against me;  2 many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God.  3  But you,  O Lord, are a shield about me,  my glory, and the lifter of my head.  4  I cried aloud to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy hill.  5 I lay down and slept; I woke again; for the Lord sustained me.  6  I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around. 7 Arise, O Lord! Save me, O my God!  For you strike all of my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked. 8  Salvation belongs to the Lord; your blessings be on your people!


  At this time, David felt that the world was against him, and not without reason.  He was king over Israel and he was surrounded by his enemies.  Other nations were power hungry and greedy and coveted Israel. From earlier chapters it seems that his advisers and people close to him resented him.  His sons just wanted the throne.   People were saying his faithfulness was foolish.  They said there was no salvation for him in God. As he said, "thousands have set themselves" against him all around.   David made his share of mistakes but he was called " a man after God's own heart." He loved the Lord and sought to please him.  He cared for his people.  He cared for their souls and their safety.  He is calling out to the Lord  for His protection. Even though David was persecuted from every direction , he knew God would protect him. He said " But you, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head."  In the same way, if we follow God, we will face different levels of persecution. People will call us foolish.  They will say that God is not real and can not offer us salvation.   We will be called names and be falsely accused.  People will actively seek to discredit us and God.  But whatever we face, we can take comfort in the Lord and the hope we have in him for salvation.  We can have joy because he is our protector.  We should take comfort in him allow him to the shield around around our hearts so that we can persevere, whatever the situation. :)




Lord,
Please help we to take comfort and joy in you and your word.  Please help me not to try to do it alone, but to allow you to shield me by trusting in you.  Thank you so much for your your son, who makes the protection possible.  Please help me have the courage to show others they joy you put in me.  In Christ name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment